Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Wee Gamers fighting on the front lines of Achtung! Cthulhu


Wee Andy and Wee Ivor both have a crack at explaining why they have both backed the Acthung! Cthulhu! kickstarter project from Modiphius 

Achtung! Cthulhu is roleplaying source material set in World War Two pulling the Cthulhu mythos screaming and kicking into it.

Have you discovered The Secret War yet?



Discover the secret history of World War Two - stories of the amazing heroism in which stalwart men and women struggled to overthrow a nightmare alliance of science and the occult, of frightening inhuman conspiracies from the depths of time, and the unbelievable war machines which were the product of Nazi scientific genius - and how close we all came to a slithering end! The Secret War has begun! 

Wee Andy - 
Now anyone who knows me knows my email addy since university has been Cthulhubruce. One of the first RPGs I played, and my first character's name :-).  There the secret is out. In a game ran by a guy who would later become a close and firm friend, Steve Blair - Keeper extraordinaire! 

Call of Cthulhu from Chaosium,  for me, is THE roleplaying game that has it all. Drama, Adventure, Danger, Gun play, Investigation, Damsels in distress, evil doers and struggling heroes .....oh and horror. But good horror, not just a nightmare on elm street gorefest style. Abject, brink of utter hopeless, annihilation, self sacrificing nihilistic, incomprehensible horror beyond .......er......comprehension I guess. 

The Writings of Lovecraft have in the hands of great people spawned a great game world. It's a game world which many have admirably added to, like Stuart Boon (Cubicle 7) with his Shadows over Scotland, a well crafted, deep and rewarding addition to Cthulhu Brittanica - which itself lifts the Mythos to the shores of  Dear Old Blighty. 

Our own local budding writter Colin Dunlop with his folklore grimoire on the Mysteries of Ireland added more flavour of a home spun nature. Then there's the likes of The Laundry, which to me is both genius and fantastic. Based on the Mythos writting of Charles Stross, and added WhiteHall red tape as a new level of horror to the genre. When Achtung Cthulhu first bombed up on my radar, I did perk up. I had flash backs to the few Great War and World War adventures I had the fortune to play, but these where stand alone adventures, or home written tales, which only went so far. 

But the War is an epic setting for the Mythos. It's ripe, as ripe as the golden age of the 20s. War breeds confusion, lines of good and evil are changed daily, propaganda, desperate research, secret bases and experiments. Even today much of the war time records remain sealed under the official secrets act, so where better to face the Mythos or try to unleash its harnessed power, than the battle fields of war torn Europe. 

The scope for story telling is immense.  We could even, if Modiphius wasn't going to swamp us with adventure material, lift the tales of our favourite war movies and sprinkle in the solid background material they are developing. What if the eagles nest really is a nest? ;) You only have to look at the material they have already produced, and presented on Kickstarter to see this isn't going to disappoint. No holding art here, but actual factual finished pieces. LAVISH is not a word I use often, but its one which seems, thus far, fully justified in this project. From the layout of sample pages, to the art work inside and out - passion, commitment and personal investment scream out from them. Here's a product the maker wants to be right. 

No fast bucks on display here, no pandering to the lowest common denominator. It took me about 3 seconds to decide to back this project. Far longer to decide what level to go for, if only money grew on trees and I didn't need to eat, but sadly livings an addiction, I like many, can't shake. But I still indulged myself....well its Cthulhu you have to or he'll eat you last. 

I want to run this now! Bang right now. I can't wait to pull open the book and get that new book smell, then lock myself away for every available moment as I devour the pages for everything they can give me. This is one game I KNOW I won't be shy of players for, and only hope when it comes that as a GM I can do the material justice.... So go on back it now and join Cthulhu in the greatest struggle of mankind....


Wee Ivor - 
I have been a fan of HP Lovecraft for a long time and a fan of roleplaying for even longer.  When I found the two mixed together at the University of Ulster Coleraine during a game of Call of Cthulhu I was hooked from there on in.

It is such a superb system allowing the GM to ramp up the terror to whatever levels they wanted too.  I have been in a couple that literally had me kept on the edge of my seat.  So as a roleplaying game you can not go wrong.  

I am also back onto a World War Two kick with Bolt Action.  The first system that drew my attenion was Secrets of the Third Reich, a Weird War Two game.  Having also watched a few good (The Outpost, Iron Sky, The Bunker; The Trench) and a few really bad (Nazis at the centre of the Earth) films I was in the mood for some World War weirdness.  There is also a great book called Werewolvess about Nazi Werewolves and a conspiracy after the war.

I have been looking at an old sourcebook on World War One from Chaosium and hope to run that soon.  But when Andy fired Achtung Cthulhu under my nose I was over the moon (or coming back from it depending on the movie reference).

It looks lush and comes on the back of Modiphius already having produced a number of WWII adventures in the Achtung! Cthulhu universe.  The art work is really evocative too. I was immediately smitten and had to back it.  It took me a while as I could not decide what level to back it at.  Finally I settled for one and threw my hard earned pennies at it.


They are even going to produce some lovely miniatures!  Thumbs up from me.

Check out their free webcomic too!

Ai Ai Cthulhu! Go and back this!

Remember to check their Kickstarter and watch their video below to give you an taster.





Wee Gamers also hang out on 
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | YouTube

Post a Comment