It had to happen. Battlefront have updated their old introductory set for Flames of War.
It had been called Open Fire in Second edition, but that has been changed now to "Achtung!". I like it :)
With a thunderous crash another shell smashes into the wall above you, showering your trench with rubble. Looking around, your entire position resembles a cauldron of fire -every roof ablaze, black smoke billowing into the night sky. As the echo of the blast dies away the crack of rifle fire breaks out, and an ominous clanking and rumbling. Suddenly, out of the flames roars a Tiger tank! Leaping from your trench you run forwards. Bazooka! Bazooka, now! Even as the din swallows your shouting, you see a trooper leveling his rocket launcher at the great beast's tracks. It may not be enough. You are in command. Take control. What are your orders?
Achtung! is the introductory boxed set to help ease people into playing Flames of War or event help ease players into the new 3rd Edition.
Like the previous incarnation 'Achtung!' is a complete introductory box set and includes
- Flames Of War full-colour mini-rulebook; 296 pages (this is the same full rulebook we gave away free to existing Version 2 rulebook owners!) of clearly laid out rules with plenty of diagrams, including:
- Rules for tanks, infantry, artillery, aircraft, snipers, reconnaissance, night fighting, fortifications, street fighting, and more.
- Special rules for the nation involved in WWII.
- 16 page full-colour introduction booklet to walk you through your first Flames Of War battles.
- 3 detailed plastic British Sherman tank miniatures.
- 2 detailed plastic German StuG G assault gun miniatures.
- 6 Rare-earth Magnets.
- 5 dice.
The mini rule book is superb i have to say. The 'Open Fire' mini rulebook had a lot of problems with it, not the rules set but it seemed to pretty much fall apart for everyone i knew who had it.
There is absolutely no problem this time. I will say it again - the mini rulebook is superb - production, layout and new examples played out with German, US, UK and Russian characters. It is so easy to read and understand now. Or at least easier than second Edition. the really nice thing was because I had the second edition hardback rule book, I got the mini rulebook for free! Battlefront, I salute you for your love for your customer base.
What I also noted was that the mandatory compliment of two Stugs and three Shermans have become plastic! Something long overdue from Battlefront, especially if they want to compete with the likes of Plastic Soldier Company.
And as you may have read, they are also including some rare earth magnets for your Shermans. A stroke of GENIUS!!!!!
The plans for putting the little fighting tanks together
The new plastic Sherman
The new plastic Stug
They look fantastic. And even though I already have enough, OK, you can never have enough, I want to buy this!
When I get my hands on one I will do a full review